Can You Microwave Marshmallows? – Can You Get a Campfire Quality S’more?

Most homeowners invest in microwaves as they are a valuable kitchen appliance. They offer numerous benefits to users where a person can save time when cooking or heating food. 

Studies also show that cooking using the microwave helps retain more nutrients than cooking on the stove.

There is also the element of not having to keep watch when using the microwave, which most people appreciate since they can multitask as they wait for their meal. 

However, it is essential to know which foods should go into the microwave and the ones that should not.

Can you microwave marshmallows? 

YES, you can microwave marshmallows depending on the results you want. 

Here I will show you that you can go for a melted end product or a crunchy one.

Melted microwave marshmallows

For melted marshmallows, you will need the following supplies:

· A large microwave-safe bowl

· Marshmallows

· A few tablespoons of oil, butter, or water

Procedure 

1. Make sure the bowl is three or four times bigger than the number of marshmallows you want to melt. This is because they will expand when you expose them to heat.

Add the marshmallows and liquid to the bowl, turn on the microwave and set it at high for a maximum of 30 seconds. 

Take out the bowl and stir the marshmallows removing any that may be stuck on the sides.

2. Return the marshmallows to the microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Continue with this cooking technique pausing to stir until all the marshmallows are melted and smooth.

Crunchy Microwave Marshmallows 

For the crunchy marshmallows, you will need the following supplies

· Marshmallows

· Paper towels or a microwave-safe plate

Procedure

1. Start by placing the marshmallows on a paper towel or a microwave-safe plate

2. Place the plate in the microwave and set the time for 60 seconds on high

3. Watch through the window as they begin to puff up (they can grow up to 4 times their original size)

4. Before they start to burst, take them out of the microwave and enjoy the tasty marshmallows, which will feel like you roasted them on an open bonfire.

Note that leaving the marshmallows on for too long may also cause a change in color inside the marshmallow where it can turn black or brown. 

This happens through a process known as caramelizing, which occurs when sugar becomes too hot, and it starts to burn.

WARNING:

Remember to let the marshmallows cool before putting them in your mouth as they can come out when they are very hot. The marshmallows should be crunchy and dry.

Sources:
https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-melt-marshmallows/
http://www.decodingdelicious.com/marshmallows-puff-microwave/
https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/activity-mallows.html