Lentils are a significant ingredient in many yummy recipes, but can you microwave lentils? Yes, you can microwave lentils and prepare your favorite meal.
You will also agree with me when I say; lentils can be stubborn to prepare, especially the long wait for them to be well-cooked.
In this article, I will show you how to get the lentils ready in less than 15 minutes. Enjoy!
What you need to know before you begin microwaving lentils:
1. Soaking the lentils is mandatory!
We all know how hard lentils are, to make them a bit soft for the microwave to cook them, you need to soak the lentils for at least one hour. Some people tend to soak the lentils overnight, that is still okay. Soaking them overnight will give better results.
2. Use a microwave-safe bowl
To cook the lentils in the microwave, you will be required to set the microwave to a high power level. For this reason, it is recommended that you don't place any plastic bowls in the microwave. I recommend ceramic or glass.
With that said, we can now look at the procedure.
What you need for this process
· 1 cup Lentils (can be of desired color and variety)
· 3 cups of water (you can also use broth)
· 1 teaspoon of salt
· Optional flavors like dried herbs.
How to microwave lentils:
i. Wash the lentils:
Lentils are small seeds that are prone to collecting sand and other tiny particles in their small crevices. To get rid of these particles, wash the lentils in a colander or sieve. The number of times that you need to rinse the lentils will depend on how clean your lentils are.
ii. Soak the lentils:
As I had said earlier, soaking the lentils is mandatory. Before proceeding to the next step, make sure your lentils have spent at least an hour in water before draining.
iii. Microwave the lentils:
In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the lentils with water. Microwave the lentils for about seven minutes on high power. Drain the water and wash the lentils three more times with cold water. Add water or broth to the bowl so that it is an inch above the lentils' level. At this stage, you can add salt and optional flavors and olive oil. Microwave the lentils again for about seven minutes on high power. Let cool for ten minutes. Lentils should be meaty and tender, if they are not tender enough, microwave them again for ten minutes on half power.
· While in the microwave, you can choose to cover the lentils or leave uncovered.
· Adding salt to the lentils before cooking in the microwave gives the lentils a firmer texture. So, if you need to smash your lentils, it is best to put salt after cooking.
· During cooking, make sure there is enough water in the bowl, preferably in the ratio of three cups of water to one cup of lentils. Remember, you are cooking, not warming, and you can always drain the excess water.
Can you microwave lentils? That's the question that we have just answered in the above article. I have exposed everything that you need to know when you begin to microwave lentils. Try it out, and you will never use your stove to prepare them again.