We have all been there. You have a cup of coffee that has gotten cold. You get an idea! "What if you reheated your coffee in the microwave with a Solo cup?"
This may not be a good idea. Have you ever poured coffee into a plastic cup? You may have noticed how soft and malleable the cup feels when you pick it up if you have.
To answer your question, NO, you should not microwave a Solo cup.
While Solo cups are a great sturdy cup to use, they are made of plastic.
They are designed as a one-time use product. Products like these aren't intended for hot liquids.
If you would like to learn some alternatives, you can try, or are curious to find out what happens if you did microwave a drink in a Solo cup, please keep reading below.
What You Should Do Instead of Microwaving A Solo Cup
If you are determined to get a hot cup of coffee, you should use a microwave-safe mug.
Are no mugs available? A glass or ceramic cup or bowl is always a safe option to use in a microwave. If you frequently use plastic cups, you may want to consider buying some microwave-safe disposable cups next time you go shopping.
When a manufacturer designs a cup, they can choose whether to produce the cup as "microwave safe." Most of these products will be clearly labeled on the packaging. Just make sure you select a microwave-safe alternative.
What Would Happen If You Did Microwave A Solo Cup
You may have to clean your microwave or worse. Have you ever cleaned melted plastic out of a microwave? No fun!
What's worse is the liquid from the cup will be mixed in with the plastic. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't say I like spending my afternoon cleaning a liquid soaked melted plastic out of my microwave.
You may even up damaging your microwave. The worst-case scenario would be if the plastic didn't melt, but as you reached in to grab the cup, the plastic melts in your hand. OUCH!
Even if someone tells you that they safely used a microwave to heat a liquid in a Solo cup, don't try it.
Play it safe and use a microwave-safe cup or even a bowl if you have no other alternative.
It's always best to play it safe when trying to microwave a liquid in plastic. While the threat of BPA has decreased in recent years (since most manufacturers stopped using it), there are still health risks associated with trying to microwave a liquid in plastic.
Burns, while handling the cup or even while cleaning, is no laughing matter.
Just remember that most one-time use cups or bowls are not microwave safe.
This includes plastic bottles such as ketchup, mustard, or Nutella.
You should always use a microwave-safe option to prevent yourself from having a BAD day.