One of the fastest and easiest ways to melt Velveeta cheese is in the microwave. There are a few other ways to melt Velveeta, but none of those ways are as fast and straightforward as microwaving it.
We will explore a few other ways to melt Velveeta cheese, but first, we will go through how to melt your cheese in the microwave to the perfect ooey-gooey consistency.
Melting Velveeta Cheese in the Microwave
Steps to melt Velveeta cheese in the microwave:
- Cut the block of Velveeta cheese into small cubes with a sharp knife.
- Place the cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and add up to 7 tablespoons of milk.
- Place the bowl of cheese and milk in the microwave, set the timer for 30 seconds, and press start.
- After the microwave beeps, stir the mixture and replace it in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Repeat step 4 as many times as required; it may take up to 3 minutes to melt the cheese completely. Be careful when stirring the cheese as the bowl is super-hot!
- Serve the cheese in the same dish you microwaved it in to keep the cheese warm, enjoy.
Other Ways to Melt Velveeta Cheese
You can also melt Velveeta cheese on the stove, either in a saucepan or in a double boiler. It takes just a few minutes longer to melt the cheese on the stove versus in the microwave, and it turns out basically the same.
Adding milk to your cheese will make it thinner and help keep it from hardening too quickly. You can even add butter to your cheese, so it does not stick to the dish it is being cooked in.
Another way to melt Velveeta cheese is to cut it into cubes and place it in a slow cooker. It takes up to one and a half to two and a half hours to melt, but the slow cooker can keep the cheese warm a lot longer than any other previously mentioned method.
Of course, there are many ways to melt Velveeta cheese, but the simplest way will always be in the microwave.